Saturday, February 8, 2014

 

Help Someone As You Would Want Someone to Help You

I was on my laptop doing some work when I felt someone standing to my side. I had seen him out of the side of my eye, but I really didn't think anything of it. I assumed he had stopped at the table to gather his belongings. That is, until he beckoned for my attention and asked me for help. He wanted me to help him fill out a form at the library that asked patrons why they love coming. 

I then realized who he was. This young man has a learning disability. He is always in the library seeking help to get onto the computer and to get things printed. I immediately stopped what I was doing and let him tell me what he wanted me to write. It was three pages worth. Page two almost had me in tears. He said (and I wrote down), "I have a learning disability. I can't pick up. My concentration is messed up..."

Afterwards, I walked with him up to the front desk to staple his forms and slide it in the red decorated box dedicated to this particular library form. Then, I went to sit down. He asked me how much I'd charge him for my assistance. "Nothing," I said. "It's my pleasure to help you." He thanked me again. I reminded him that I was happy to help.

This encounter reminded me how important it is to be willing to help each other regardless of our status; that we look at each other as equal and not "better than". Just because this young man has a learning disability doesn't mean that I (or anyone) should look at him in any way except as a young man who was smart enough and bold enough to ask for help. He actually articulated his thoughts very well. It was a breeze to write what came from his mind.

If you have an opportunity to be a blessing to someone's life, make yourself available. You never know when you will need help yourself. Remember: You are doing God's work when you assist your fellow man.

Have a splendid Saturday!

Feona Sharhran Huff
"A Humble Servant"

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]