Saturday, October 26, 2013

 

Today Was a Great Time to Help Girls Begin Career Exploration



Today was very special for me. I had the opportunity to co-facilitate a career exploration workshop at Oscar Smith Middle School with my alma mater's assistant director of career services Melody M. Iannone at the Chesapeake Commonwealth's Attorney's 2013 Girls & Young Women's Empowerment Conference.

Melody and I spoke to 19 teen girls to get them thinking about and planning for their career interests. We each had 15 minutes to empower them. Melody presented first - kicking things off with an ice breaker that every girl participated in. I concluded the workshop by having them to write down a career goal on one side of a white sheet of paper and drawing a picture of what the career looks like on the other side. Then, I had them to present their goals before their peers. I was very proud that 8 young ladies volunteered to do this. Their career aspirations included being a WNBA player, graphic artist, restaurant owner, vetenarian and OB-GYN. Borrowing from my two hour long workshop "I'm Writing My Vision and I'm Making It Plain", I told the girls that there are four steps to achieving their career goals: 1) Write it, 2) Draw it, 3) Believe it and (4) Execute it.

I was inspired by their career focus as well as their willingness to be engaged in the workshop. I look forward to hearing that their goals came to fruition.

Thank you to my shero and Sister-in-Christ Marlene Bright for recommending me as a presenter for this conference. You know how much I love our young ladies. Thank you to Mrs. Nancy Parr - whose office sponsored the empowerment conference - and her caring staff members Mary and Anika for accepting me as a presenter and doing a great job on making today a positive experience. I really appreciated the lovely "Thank You" card that Mrs. Parr hand delivered to me after the workshop.

I am inspired. I am empowered. I am dedicated to inspiring and empowering our youth. If you'd like me to speak to your group, email me at powerhouse4ever@gmail.com or call me at (757) 202-3264.

In service to our youth,

Feona Sharhran Huff
Founder & CEO
Powerhouse Media Group (PMG)
"When you step into your power, you become a powerhouse"




Melody M. Iannone, Assistant Director of Career Services at Norfolk State University,
really gave the girls some great career advice to consider.
 
 
The girls were truly engaged in our workshop.

She's such an involved mom!
She sat in on our workshop while her daughter was empowered!
 
 
Me and Melody (a counselor at Tidewater Community College)

Here's Melody at Tidewater Community College's table.
The college has some amazing women's programming.

Me and Chesapeake Commonwealth Attorney's Mrs. Nancy Parr

Thank you for the wonderful "Thank You" note Mrs. Nancy Parr.


Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]