Saturday, June 4, 2011

 

Dark GIrls: My Video Response

My sorority sister Sabrina Ayala and newfound friend Tracey Smith shared a link with me yesterday evening of a Youtube video entitled "Dark Girls." In the video, dark-skinned women like me talk about what it was like growing up and being ridiculed, ignored, bad mouthed, taunted, etc., just because of their hue. It hurt them deeply as they relived the pain. It hurt me to watch them.

I remember in middle school that the light -skinned girls received the attention of the boys and I wondered why. It didn't stop me from loving myself but I did feel a little way about being somewhat ignored. My saving grace was knowing that I was smart, talented and most importantly, a child of God who loved and adored me so much that He made me in his beautiful image.

It was when I reached Norfolk State University -- a Historically Black College and University (HBCU) -- where I majored in journalism  that I really began delving into who Feona was from the inside out. The more I learned about me, the more I embraced all of me, including my skin complexion. I call it "Au Chocolate," after the foundation  I wear by Black Opal.

One of the workshops that I currently conduct through my media and event planning company is entitled addresses self-esteem, an issue that our young ladies face. It's called "Mirror Mirror." It's named after a poem I wrote for my daughter in 2006 that I have since turned into a book  and features  images of black girls.

I love the skin that I'm in. I want other young ladies to do the same right now. If you have a daughter, niece, neighbor or student, etc. who has a dark skin complexion, remind her that she is beautiful and that dark is what's really good. Help her to create collages of dark skinned girls and women that will be her guiding reflection. Encourage her to keep a mirror handy so that she can admire her beautiful self.

I recorded a video response to "Dark Girls" and will be available later today at www.youtube.com/powerhouseforever. Please be sure to share it as well as this editorial response with all the dark-skinned girls and women that you know as it's a means to foster self-love and a high "hue" esteem. Here's to being delightfully dark and proud!

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]